Satellite TV & DTH

If you have an issue with your satellite TV & DTH service, you could be entitled to a refund. Use our free tool to raise an issue with the service provider.

Issues with Satellite and DTH Services can sometimes be extremely tough to resolve. It’s often not easy to know when you’re right to raise an issue regarding this. Our general rule of thumb is this: if it feels unfair, raise an issue! When you’re sold DTH Service, you enter into a contract with your provider – this means they have certain duties when it comes to providing the service they’ve promised to provide you. Most DTH service providers will gladly resolve your problems – it may just take a little help from Resolver! 

This guide will take you through the current state of play, catering common issues and outlining your rights.

Your Rights

  • You should contact the customer care center of your Satellite & DTH service provider to lodge a complaint. Your complaint will be acknowledged within 8 hours of receipt.
  • If the care center does not resolve your complaint satisfactorily or is not responding, then you may write to the Nodal Officer for the purpose.
  • Your satellite or DTH operator should resolve your complaint within 48 hours.
  • If your complaint has not been resolved for more than 5 days then your service provider is bound to compensate you from the sixth day of registration of complaint till its satisfactory resolution.
  • You can also lodge a complaint before the consumer court, seeking compensation for deficient service. As per the law, satellite & DTH operators who provide deficient services will have to compensate the user.

How to file a complaint with satellite TV & DTH service provider?

  1. Contact the customer care center, which will allocate a unique docket number to your issue, the same will be communicated to you along with the expected time within which your complaint shall be resolved.
  2. The satellite TV or DTH TV customer care center has to communicate the details of the action taken on the complaint. Additionally, they should inform you of the further escalation process, upon request.
  3. The satellite & DTH service provider has to acknowledge your complaint within eight hours of receipt of the complaint. If your issue is about ‘no signal’, it should be redressed within 24 - 48 hours. Your complaint should not remain unresolved beyond 72 hours.
  4. If you are not satisfied with the solution offered by the customer care center, you can approach the Nodal Officer of the satellite or DTH service provider for redressal. The officer will acknowledge your complaint within 2 days and resolve the matter within 10 days.
  5. If there has been an unsatisfactory resolution by the Nodal Officer, you can approach the Appellate Authority via Resolver within three months of the decision by the officer. The authority shall decide your case within the time period of three months.
  6. You also have the option to take a legal route and file a consumer case. However, litigation is a lengthy process. You should make your choice wisely. You can also notify TRAI for any violation committed by the satellite & DTH service provider.

How can Resolver help?

Resolver plays the role of the bridge between you and the Company. It makes it easier for you to contact the company’s customer service directly. You can be certain that you’re talking to the right person at the right time. We automatically connect you to contacts at thousands of household names, nodal officers and regulators to find a resolution. There’s no jargon in our rights guides. Instead, they’re full of the information you need to get things sorted. We’ll constantly be on hand with steerage and support to help you to get the results you’re searching for. Resolver is free. No adverts, no hidden costs. Start by telling us the name of the company or organisation you have an issue with, raise a case and leave a feedback afterwards.

How much time does it take to process a request for cancellation of services?

Within 7 days your request for closure or termination of services shall be adhered to by the satellite & DTH service provider. Beyond 7 days, no rental can be charged. Such termination of services is also not conditional upon the payment of pending dues. Additionally, the outstanding security deposits should be refunded within 60 days of termination of service. If there’s a delay, beyond 60 days, you are entitled to get interest at the rate of 10% yearly for the number of days refund has been delayed.

The resolver system holds the contact details for Satellite channels & DTH service providers and will help you deliver and manage your complaint as it is important that you keep a complete record of all dealings you have with the Satellite & DTH Company.  

What to do when channels do not display on the TV?

Cable and direct-to-home (DTH) operators have now speed up the process of getting consumers to make their choices as TRAI has asked for weekly progress reports. This stems from TRAI's new tariff order and broadcast sector regulations, which went live from January. The new regime permits customers to choose and pay just for the channels that they opt to watch. In case, you are not able to access those channels which you selected, you must contact your service provider.

Have you been asked to pay for a cancelled service?

You should contact your TV provider as soon as possible to ensure they have noted your house move or if you got any service cancelled. If you’re not satisfied with the response of your TV provider’s response, you must contact their customer service department and write giving clear details of your case - like what happened, when, and why you are complaining. The most likely reason that you will have to do this if you are still using a cancelled service by chance.

How to complain against a faulty set-top box?

You may have reasonable expectations related to the device which includes set up box, dish, remote and wirings. If the device if not as per prescription, you may return it or get it replaced with your service provider.

Resolver promises

We will never share your personal data with anyone without your permission - your case will go to the firm you’re complaining about and, if appropriate, to an ombudsman.

If you find something wrong with a company or our processes, tell us and we will put it right.

You can raise a complaint against Resolver via Resolver itself.

We do use cookies, but only to provide you with a better experience.