Home & Garden
If you have an issue with online shopping, you could be entitled to a refund. Use our free tool to raise an issue with the seller.
Who is your issue with?
Indian markets offer a wide range of home furnishing and garden products at affordable prices. Online websites provide easy availability of indoor & outdoor furniture, home decor, appliances, and other such household products at attractive prices. This guide will enlighten you on your rights and equip you with solutions if an issue emerges.
How to file a complaint with an online furniture seller?
Through online forms, customer care email IDs and call centre numbers, one can easily initiate a complaint with the concerned authority. Online retailers offer the following types of policies in case something goes wrong:
- Cancellation Policy- If you place an order by mistake, or wish to make changes to your order- you have the option to cancel your order before it is confirmed and/ or shipped by the online vendor.
- Return Policy- For a reasonable explanation, an item can be returned to the vendor within a reasonable time frame provided that the original tags have been preserved and the item has not been used. Online shopping websites sometimes also offer a free courier service to pick up returns. Against such returns, vendors offer options of money back in the online account or the buyer’s bank account.
- Refund Policy- Online shopping websites generally offer full refunds. However, it is advised that you read the vendor’s refund policy before making a purchase to ascertain whether the full amount will be refunded to your bank account or not.
- Exchange Policy- The terms & conditions against an exchange policy of a home & garden product are similar to that of a return policy. In this case, instead of a cashback, the user gets another size of the same product.
‘Buyer Beware’- it’ll not be wrong to say that apart from the seller having the responsibility to ensure that the beauty product or service does not cause any harm to the user. The buyer is equally responsible to make sure that he is not being cheated by the seller. As a precautionary measure, you should always check the quality of a beauty product thoroughly before making the purchase. It is also recommended to read the product service reviews on credible websites to avoid any trouble. Also, check the return, refund and exchange policy of a seller before making the purchase. However, you can solve raise a complaint via Resolver.
To submit a grievance against an online furniture shopping company in India, you should follow the given steps:
- Gather your paperwork related to the purchase of the product and contact the seller from whom you made the purchase, whether online or offline. Most sellers have a complaint resolution mechanism in place.
- If the seller refuses to help you or does not provide a satisfactory resolution, approach the customer care head of the business and register an official complaint. You can also escalate the matter by approaching the corporate office of the online furniture seller.
- If the business fails to provide a satisfactory solution you can serve a month’s legal notice to the furniture company to allow them some time to resolve your issue- failing which;
- As a last resort, you can take legal action against the business by filing a consumer case at an appropriate consumer forum and follow the procedure as prescribed under the law. However, it’s a long route to take.
How will Resolver help you?
Resolver acts as a link between you and the company you’re complaining to, making it easier for you to get your complaint to the right place at the right time. Resolver will help you to submit your issue for free. No adverts, no hidden costs. Any complaint from Resolver is an official complaint, and thus the concerned cosmetic manufacturers and sellers are obliged to act upon it. Start by telling us the name of the company or organisation you have an issue with, raise a case and leave feedback afterwards.
Item Related Issues
What if I received a damaged item?
Upon delivery, you must inspect the condition of your order.
- You have a 30-day time period to return faulty home and garden products and receive a full refund subject to certain conditions
- If the seller made you aware of the possible defects, you cannot take any action against them.
In case of any further issue escalate the complaint via Resolver.
How long is the guarantee period?
Your retailer will have a limited-time guarantee on the product, but even if the time exceeds you may be able to claim. The law is not clear on what a guarantee is and what is deemed reasonable. It may be for a minimum of six months but you need to take into consideration a reasonable lifespan for the product, how much you spent on it and its quality.
What if I no longer want the item?
If you have decided that you no longer want the home & garden products, you can cancel your order or can submit a ticket for a refund. In any case, you are not automatically entitled to a refund. You may be offered a credit note by the retailer so that you can purchase other goods, but it is not mandatory.
Am I entitled to a warranty?
If the retailer says the product is beyond its guarantee but there is a manufacturer warranty, it may ask you to contact the manufacturer directly. However, your contract is with the retailer and not the manufacturer therefore, the retailer has the responsibility to resolve and rectify the issue accordingly.
Price related Issues
The product I purchased was incorrectly priced!
In case the product was mispriced, incorrectly priced or you were overcharged for the product. Remember to retain all the price receipts. Contact the customer care service through the toll-free number provided on the website. Thereafter you may also pay a visit to the office of the online store.
I made the payment but it was not accepted!
If you face problems during the payment process and they cannot be resolved at the time the issue arises, it is ideal to contact your bank or card provider and ask them to investigate on your behalf. This includes your debit/credit card being declined or overcharged.
If your credit card statement contains incorrect charges or charges for products and services you did not receive, then you should dispute these charges. Both Visa and MasterCard offer a zero-liability policy: you will not be liable if your card or card number is used without your authorisation, as long as you have complied with the Cardholder Agreement. You may also escalate the complaint via Resolver.
What to do in case my refund requests get refused?
Most of the retailers operate a fairly customer-friendly returns policy and will accept returned items within a certain time period. However, in case the request for refund is refused by the retailer, the following could be the reasons:
- Absence of proof of purchase (your receipt, or in some cases your debit/credit card statement, will suffice).
- Goods are not in proper condition and unpacked.
- You crossed the time limit within which the request had to be made.
Resolver will help facilitate the entire process for you.
Delivery and service-related issues
There was a delay in the delivery of the product!
If there is a delay beyond a reasonable period of delivery of a shipment. You are entitled to expect delivery of your goods within a maximum of 30 days of purchase. If delivery has taken longer than this, then you are entitled to a full refund on return of the goods (or possibly of a refund of your delivery costs – although this depends on the reason for the delay). If you have agreed on delivery at a certain time, you can claim a full refund on your delivery costs if the seller does not deliver at the specified time.
The product I purchased was not delivered to me!
The law allows a full refund in case of no delivery. Make sure you have all the necessary documents with respect to your claim. If the seller causes you a loss as a result of non-delivery of products, you might be eligible for compensation against the loss as well.
The product I purchased got delivered to the wrong address!
If the delivery service has been provided by the seller, and then the delivery has been made to the wrong location- immediately alert the seller by dropping an email. If the seller refuses to provide help with your order, you may escalate your complaint to the concerned authorities.
Can I raise a complaint if my personal data is leaked or shared inappropriately?
Your Information including any sensitive financial information collected on computers is protected. Don’t subject yourself to being patient zero on a new retail app that just landed in the app store. Wait and see how much transaction it gets. See how many other people download it.
There are other easy steps you can take to enhance the security of online accounts:
- Change your password
- Before making the payment, check for encryption key – a small key symbol – in the payment portal to ensure that the transaction is secure.
Every e-commerce company have a grievance officer. Escalate your complaint to the appropriate authority via Resolver.
The service provided to me was not satisfactory!
Complain in person: The first easy step is to go back to the shop or phone the call centre and explain the problem and your suggested resolution.
Complain in writing: If the company won't help over the phone, the easiest way to take your complaint further is using this free online tool which helps draft your complaint and manage it too.
Court action: If all else fails and the shop hasn't given you a satisfactory response, you have a legal right to fair service. Ideally, send a ‘letter before action’ (legal notice) to say you are going to take them to court.
Let Resolver help you with the issue.
Issues with the after-sale services
If your issue has not been responded to or you are dissatisfied with the response received, the most important thing to note is that your rights as a consumer are protected by the Consumer Rights Act, 1986. If the product is not similar to what is described or fit for purpose or of satisfactory quality then you can ask for a full refund, a repair or a replacement of the product.
If you have encountered a delay in services, it may be a short-term problem such as staff illness, transport problems or busy periods such as festivals or sales. You should ask to speak to their supervisor or manager or report the issue via Resolver.
- You should always check the product before buying it.
- In case you purchased the item online make sure to go through the reviews from reliable sources.
- Retain all the papers related to the goods and services purchased.
- You should be able to find details of the shop’s policy either in-store, on the back of your receipt or on their website.
- In case of an issue contact the toll-free customer care number and raise your concern.
- Then approach the cosmetic products and services seller in order to ask for refund or replacement.
- Escalate your complaint via Resolver.
You can raise issues with 97 companies in Home & Garden services
Key companies include: