Cable TV

If you have an issue with your cable TV service, you could be entitled to a refund. Use our free tool to raise an issue with the cable TV service provider.

The rising demand for Cable TV dates back to the time of the Gulf war, where a large number of Indians demanded Cable TV for following the coverage of the war by CNN. The demand continued to rise even after the war ended. In India, it is important for the Cable TV network Operators to get them registered under the Cable Television Networks (Regulation) Act. This guide will let you know your rights and solutions in case you face any kind of issues.

How to file a complaint against a Cable TV service provider?

In case you have an issue with your Cable TV operator, you may:

  • Contact the customer care centre, which will assign you a unique docket number to your issue, the same will be communicated to you along with the expected time within which your complaint shall be resolved. They will then inform you of the details of the action taken on the complaint. Additionally, they should inform you of the further escalation process, upon request. You can also contact them via Resolver.
  • The cable TV service provider is obliged to acknowledge your complaint within 8 hours of receipt of the complaint. If your issue is about ‘no signal’, it should be redressed within 24 - 48 hours. Your complaint should not remain unresolved beyond 72 hours.
  • If you are unsatisfied with the solution offered by the customer care centre, you may approach the Nodal Officer of the cable TV service provider for redressal. The officer will acknowledge your complaint within 2 days and resolve the matter within 10 days.
  • If you are still not satisfied, you can approach the Appellate Authority via Resolver within 3 months of the decision by the officer. The authority shall decide your case within three months.
  • You also have the option to take a legal route and file a consumer case. However, litigation is a lengthy process. 
  • You can also notify TRAI for any violation committed by the cable TV service provider.

How will Resolver help you?

Resolver knows the next steps to take to escalate your claim and will remind you what to do and when so that your voice is heard and expectedly your issue is addressed. Resolver will help you to submit your issue for free, with no adverts or hidden costs. Any complaint from Resolver is an official complaint, and thus the concerned service providers are obliged to act upon it. Resolver acts as a link between you and the service provider you’re complaining to, making it simpler for you to get your complaint to the right place at the right time. Start by telling us the name of the company or service provider you have an issue with, raise a case and leave feedback afterwards.

Your rights as a user of Cable TV

  • As per TRAI directions, all cable operators and DTH service providers have to resolve the issue within 72 hours of complaint. If not, then the cable TV service providers will have to provide the service free of cost.
  • A consumer is free to choose which channel they wish to watch and subscribe to a custom pack channel-wise accordingly. All channels should be offered on an a-la-carte basis and the MRP should be displayed on the TV screen of the user.
  • Every cable TV channel service provider has to give a warranty for equipment (like the set-top box). During the period of warranty, no charges can be imposed by the service provider for any repairs or home visits for rectification of faults in the equipment.

How much time does it take to cancel service request activation?

Within 7 days your request for closure or termination of services shall be adhered to by the cable TV service provider. Beyond 7 days, no rental can be charged. Such termination of services is also not conditional upon the payment of pending dues. Additionally, the outstanding security deposits should be refunded within 60 days of termination of service. If there’s a delay, beyond 60 days, you are entitled to a 10% rate of interest per annum for the number of days refund is delayed.

Can I get the Cable TV services relocated?

Relocation is subject to technical and operational feasibility. Upon making a request to your Cable TV operator, it should be done within a period of seven days from the date of receipt of your request. However, this service is chargeable. You may use Resolver to contact the service provider to resolve the issue. 

Can I deactivate the cable TV services temporarily?

Yes, you can deactivate the services temporarily as many times as you want. However, some minimal charges will be levied on you on its re-activation. Resolver can help you in the cancellation process conveniently.

Can I choose the TV channels I want to subscribe?

Yes, you are free to subscribe to channels of your wish. Also, you will only have to pay for those channels, you wish to subscribe among the bouquet of channels offered by your cable tv service provider.  You may also use Resolver to contact the service provider in case you face an issue.

How much time does it take for a new cable TV activation to process?

In such a case cable tv operator is obliged to reply within five working days of receipt of the application, subject to certain shortcomings. In case you face any issue, use Resolver to help you solve it.

Do I have to give a notice period before requesting a cable TV disconnection?

Yes, the cable operator is required to give notice at least 15 days, prior to the disconnection of services. However, the reason for the disconnection must be specified to you. You can use Resolver to resolve any issue promptly.

Is there any time limit for activation of the cable connection?

If the cable tv service provider is satisfied that there is no technical non-feasibility, the activation of the connection should be completed within 2 working days of the completion of the formalities on your part.

In Summary

  • Make sure you know all the terms and conditions before purchasing any Cable TV-related services.
  • In case of an issue, contact the customer care department of your service provider.
  • You may escalate the matter with Nodal Officer.
  • Resolver can also assist you with the redressal process from start to finish.

Helping you with Cable TV services

You can raise issues with 0 companies in Cable TV services
Key companies include:

Key companies include:

a   b   c   d   e   f   g   h   i   j   k   l   m   n   o   p   q   r   s   t   u   v   w   x   y   z  

Resolver promises

We will never share your personal data with anyone without your permission - your case will go to the firm you’re complaining about and, if appropriate, to an ombudsman.

If you find something wrong with a company or our processes, tell us and we will put it right.

You can raise a complaint against Resolver via Resolver itself.

We do use cookies, but only to provide you with a better experience.