Stock Trading & Demat Account - Address change not done

How does Resolver work?

Free forever

Resolver is free. No adverts, no hidden costs. Just raise a case and leave feedback after. Simple! We’ve helped millions of people find a resolution. Get started now and let’s get this sorted.

Know your rights

There’s no jargon in our rights guides. Instead, they’re full of the info you need to get things sorted. We’ll always be on hand with guidance and support to help you get the results you’re looking for.

Get your voice heard

You can be certain that you’re talking to the right person at the right time. We automatically connect you to contacts at thousands of household names, ombudsmen and regulators to find a resolution.

  • When you fill the application for opening demat account, keep in mind to fill your details correctly. It is through this information that all future transactions will take place.
  • If there is a change of address after your demat account is opened, inform the financial institution immediately.
  • If no change is made and there has been undue delay, complain via Resolver.
You should know

Through National Stock Exchange of India Ltd. (NSE):

You must :

  • Take up a complaint against a trading member with the Exchange.
  • Take up a complaint against a listed company.
  •  File arbitration against a trading member if there is a dispute.  
  • Challenge the arbitration award before a court of law.


  • You may contact the Trading Member (TM) and immediately question him about the transaction that you are not able to understand or if you did not authorize your trading member. 
  • If you are not satisfied with the response, contact the firm’s customer care or branch manager. You can find the details viz contact number and email id displayed at their offices.
  •  In case the said information is not displayed, you may report it to NSE.  
  • In case of any dispute with the trading member, you may complain in writing.
  • It is advisable to retain copies of your letter and every other related correspondence done with the TM.


If the case is still not resolved, the investor can file a complaint with NSE.

  • You can lodge your complaints in the prescribed format along with the supporting documents through either online or offline modes. The NSE Investor Cell will then analyze the response from the TM and forward it to the investor.
  • If the complaints are not resolved within 15 days from the date of lodging the complaints with Exchange or in cases where aggrieved parties are affected by the resolution worked out would be referred to Investor Grievance Resolution Panel (IGRP). 
  • You must then fill the arbitration application within 3 years from the date of the dispute. A panel of 3 arbitrators, if the value of the claim is greater than  Rs.25 lakhs and sole arbitrator if the claim is up to Rs.25 lakhs.
  • You can file an appeal before Appellate Arbitrators of Exchange, if you are not satisfied with the arbitration award, within 30 days from date of receipt of the award.
  • In case you are still not satisfied, you can escalate the matter to Court.


Through Security and Exchange Boards of India (SEBI):

  • You must approach the concerned company/ intermediary against whom you have a grievance. If you are not satisfied with the response. by the listed company or registered intermediary, the investor may file a complaint in SEBI Complaints Redress System (SCORES). 
  • Herein, the limitation period for filing an arbitration reference with stock exchanges is 3 years. 
  • You have the right to talk to the  SEBI officer, dealing with the complaint. 
  1. You may first, go to the ‘Complaint Status’ section of SCORES. 
  2. Enter the registration number and password, you can see the name and contact details of the Dealing officer for your complaint on SCORES. 
  3. Alternatively, you may contact SEBI toll-free helpline service number and let them know registration no. of your complaint whereby they will provide you with the name of the dealing officer of your complaint.
  4. No complaint number and acknowledgement shall be sent to you if the information is with reference to categories of Price/market manipulation and Insider trading.
  • If the Company or entity fails to resolve your issue, then you are free to take legal action (3 years from the time when the cause of action arose) as SEBI cannot act as a judge or an arbitrator and force or entity to resolve your complaint. 
  • The investor can lodge a complaint in both offline as well as online modes. 

You may also escalate the issue via Resolver.


Through Bank:

  • Lodge the complaint in writing (online/offline) at the consumer care department of the concerned branch of your bank. Specify all the essential details and documents to support your complaint.
  • If the Bank is unable to resolve the issue you may contact the Grievance Redressal Officer of the concerned Bank. Thereafter you may approach the Principal Nodal officer.
  • If still not satisfied, escalate the matter to the External Banking Ombudsman, appointed by the RBI.
  • If the issue still persists, you may lodge the complaint with RBI online by accessing the website of the Reserve Bank,  under the link ‘For Common Person’ on the Home page.
  • The Award by the Ombudsman is not binding on the Non-Banking Financial Company (NBFC) or the complainant as they have the right to appeal against the decision of the Ombudsman before the Appellate Authority. In case the NBFC doesn't comply with the directions, you can approach the RBI directly.
  • Further, you may also take a long route by taking the bank to the Consumer Court.

We have 1,315 pages of rights advice for you covering 1,922 companies and organisations across 4 public & private sectors. Feel free to browse companies for this specific issue - they're all listed below - but the quickest way to find the best rights for you is by using our unique Rights Finder to access our extensive database of advice.

Start by telling us the name of the company or organisation you have an issue with.

Who do you have an issue with?

Raise it for free via Resolver