Home Insurance - Name on policy incorrect

How does Resolver work?

Free forever

Resolver is free. No adverts, no hidden costs. Just raise a case and leave feedback after. Simple! We’ve helped millions of people find a resolution. Get started now and let’s get this sorted.

Know your rights

There’s no jargon in our rights guides. Instead, they’re full of the info you need to get things sorted. We’ll always be on hand with guidance and support to help you get the results you’re looking for.

Get your voice heard

You can be certain that you’re talking to the right person at the right time. We automatically connect you to contacts at thousands of household names, ombudsmen and regulators to find a resolution.

If the name appears incorrect on your insurance documents, then you must get it corrected as soon as possible. It may be the fault of the insurer, who made a typo or misheard you on the telephone.

The wrong name on the policy can affect your claim in the future. If the insurer is not responding to your requests, approach the customer care via resolver to raise an issue.

You should know

A home insurance company is expected to resolve your complaint within 15 days. In case there’s a delay, Resolver can help you solve this issue quickly, free of charge and without any hassle. We can also help you with the next step in writing your complaint and escalating it. Click on the link below to create your account.

Home insurance protects your residence from any unseen calamity. Insurance ensures that the policyholder suffers a minimum loss when a calamity occurs. Under home insurance, coverage is provided to the home and its contents like the residents, furniture, electronics, and other valuables. Buyer has the option to go for comprehensive coverage or to get specific items covered under the policy. Home insurance protects your household in case of the following mishaps-

  1. Natural Calamities- Lightning, Fire, Flood, Earthquake, Riot/strike, Cyclone, and Landslide
  2. Man-made Disasters- Damage due to electrical short-circuit, overflowing of water pipes or tanks, damage caused by a vehicle, loss in a fire caused by a third party, etc.

In case you have a complaint against your home insurance provider, you need to follow the stated steps-

  1. Approach the designated Grievance Redressal Officer/ Cell of your Insurance Company. Lodge your complaint in writing with supporting documents. Make sure you take a written acknowledgment of your complaint. The insurance company is expected to resolve your complaint within 15 days
  2. If policyholders are not able to approach the insurance company directly for any reason, you can file the complaint through Integrated Grievance Management System (IGMS), which provides a gateway to register complaints with insurance companies established under the Insurance Regulatory & Development Authority of India (IRDAI).
  3. In case if it is not resolved within 15 days or if you are unsatisfied with the outcome, then you can approach the Grievance Redressal Cell of the Consumer Affairs Department of IRDAI. IRDAI will contact the insurance company to re-examine your complaint.
  4. Next, the policyholder can approach the Insurance Ombudsman if the complaint has been rejected by the insurance company, or the outcome is unsatisfactory, or the insurance company has not responded within 30 days. Insurance Ombudsman can also be approached if the value of the claim including expenses claimed is not above Rs 30 lakhs.

If you are still not satisfied by the decision of the Insurance Ombudsman, you can move the appropriate civil court or high court within 3 years of the occurrence of the grievance.

Find the best rights for you

We have 1,315 pages of rights advice for you covering 1,922 companies and organisations across 4 public & private sectors. Feel free to browse companies for this specific issue - they're all listed below - but the quickest way to find the best rights for you is by using our unique Rights Finder to access our extensive database of advice.

Start by telling us the name of the company or organisation you have an issue with.

Who do you have an issue with?

Raise it for free via Resolver