Cruises - Cancellation due to illness
Who is your issue with?
Resolver is free. No adverts, no hidden costs. Just raise a case and leave feedback after. Simple! We’ve helped millions of people find a resolution. Get started now and let’s get this sorted.
Know your rights
There’s no jargon in our rights guides. Instead, they’re full of the info you need to get things sorted. We’ll always be on hand with guidance and support to help you get the results you’re looking for.
Get your voice heard
You can be certain that you’re talking to the right person at the right time. We automatically connect you to contacts at thousands of household names, ombudsmen and regulators to find a resolution.
If you had to cancel your cruise trip at the last minute due to an unforeseen illness, you should get a refund on your tickets. While some cruises offer refundable bookings, others offer non-refundable or partially refundable bookings.
You must know that your cruise operator may deduct a small amount as cancellation charges and refund the rest of the amount.
If the tickets were fully or partially refundable, you should submit a request for the same with your cruise operator. If the tickets were non-refundable, you can still make a request for refund owing to the nature of your emergency.
Resolver can assist you in raising and resolving your issue in a timely manner.You should know
- Before your cruise, ensure that you have adequate travel insurance which includes cancellation cover in case of an issue.
- Monitor weather reports before your cruise and check to ensure there are no cancellations or delays to service.
- You are entitled to compensation if your cruise is delayed unless it is caused by poor weather or other unforeseen circumstances
- A majority of cruise companies will include a clause in their terms allowing them to change the schedule. Read the fine print carefully to avoid any hassle.
Changes prior to departure
If the changes to your cruise are significant, you have the right to request a refund, or to request an alternative package. If the package is of a lower cost, you can request a refund of the difference.
If there is a change you can complain, however, the cruise company will have a clause to allow for changes to the itinerary, as there can be a number of reasons for the change in the itinerary. If there is a significant change then you can make a claim. The cruise company is required to make alternative arrangements or to compensate you.
How to file a cruise complaint in India?
- You should submit a written complaint to the cruise crew indicating your distress. You should also be able to explain your issue in detail.
- If the crew is unable to resolve your issue, or if you are not satisfied with the outcome, then you have the option to escalate the matter by approaching the customer care of the cruise line company. Alternatively, you may alert your travel agent or booking agent about the same and expect a solution within a reasonable time.
- If all else fails, you have the option to serve a month's legal notice to the cruise service provider to allow them a chance of rectification. If they still fail, then you should file a formal consumer case at an appropriate consumer forum.
Can I upgrade my room on-board?
Based on availability, a cruise ship may allow you to upgrade upon paying additional charges.
Is there any baggage limit?
Cruise lines have different luggage weight limits. You must check with them before packing.
Safety & Emergency
For passengers’ safety, every room in a cruise should be equipped with life-jackets. There must be enough life-boats on board. Inquire about the safety measures before boarding the cruise. The crew should also explain safety measures and what to do in case of an emergency. The crew is also expected to be trained to cater to medical emergencies mid voyage.
What if I miss my on-going travel plans?
If you miss a connecting transport service due to a delay or cancellation, your cruise operator must make "reasonable efforts to inform the passengers of alternative connections". However, the cruise company does not have to pay you any compensation for any missed connections.
Ensure before you travel that you have travel insurance. This will cover you in case of a delay or cancellation of your travel. If you make a claim under your travel insurance and if the issue is not resolved after eight weeks, you can take your case to the Insurance Ombudsman who will look at your case from the perspective of what is fair and reasonable and provide for free a decision that is binding on the company.
We have 1,554 pages of rights advice for you covering 2,033 companies and organisations across 4 public & private sectors. Feel free to browse companies for this specific issue - they're all listed below - but the quickest way to find the best rights for you is by using our unique Rights Finder to access our extensive database of advice.
Start by telling us the name of the company or organisation you have an issue with.