If you have an issue with your travel insurance, you could be entitled to a refund. Use our free tool to raise an issue with the service provider.
Who is your issue with?
Travel Insurance is a kind of insurance policy, which covers all risks while you are travelling within the territory of India or abroad. Since the world is wide and life is short, people tend to get their travels insured from the unforeseen risks that might emerge. This guide will brief you on your rights and provide a solution for travel-related issues. Thus Resolver will help you travel care-free because the money would come back but time won’t.
How to complain about travel insurance?
In case you are not satisfied with the travel insurance company, You may :
- Contact the toll-free customer care number provided to you by the travel insurance policy provider, you can also drop a mail on their e-mail id specified therein.
- Submit your complaint in writing, along with the necessary documents to support the complaint.
- Remember to take the written acknowledgement of your complaint duly signed with the date specified.
- You may also approach the Grievance Redressal Officer, of the travel insurance Company.
- They usually resolve the issue within a reasonable time. However, if they don't solve within 15 days or if the result is unsatisfactory, you may approach the Grievance Redressal Cell of the Consumer Affairs Department of Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI).
- When you purchase an insurance policy/product from a Bank, it is regulated by RBI, through its appointed external Banking Ombudsman.
- Lastly, file a civil complaint with the insurer before a civil court.
How will RBI help me with my issue?
The Banking Ombudsman appointed by the RBI will make a decision on your case either through conciliation or mediation between the complainant and the bank complained off. If the terms of the settlement offered by the bank are fully accepted by you, the Banking Ombudsman will pass an order as per the terms of the settlement. Further, the outcome will be binding on you and the financial organisation. Compensation offered by RBI:
- For Loss suffered: The Ombudsman has the power to direct the Bank to pay as compensation, equal to the amount of loss suffered because of the act or omission by the Bank or amount up to Rs 20 lakh, whichever is lower.
- For Mental Agony and Harassment: You will be awarded compensation not exceeding Rs.1 lakh.
If the issue is still not settled by way of an agreement within a period of one month, the Banking Ombudsman will proceed further to pass an Award. However, a reasonable opportunity is provided to both the bank and the complainant to present their case. But, this award is not binding it is upon the complainant to either accept or reject it. Upon rejecting the award, you may approach the Appellate Authority which is vested with a Deputy Governor of the RBI. It will pass the order as it may deem fit in the best of your interest.
How will Resolver help you?
Having a genuine complaint with your travel either in India or abroad, Resolver will help you to submit your issue for free. Any complaint from Resolver is an official complaint, and thus the concerned travel insurance providers are obliged to act upon it. Resolver acts as a link between you and the company you’re complaining to, making it easier for you to get your complaint to the right place at the right time. Resolver ensures free service without any adverts or hidden costs. Start by telling us the name of the company or organisation you have an issue with, raise a case and leave feedback afterwards.
Is it necessary to buy travel insurance?
It is not necessary to buy travel insurance. However, it provides protection to you and your near and dear ones in case of any unforeseen circumstances or medical emergencies, while in transit.
What should my travel insurance include?
Before finalising any travel insurance online you must ensure it covers the following points:
- Compensation- In case you are travelling abroad, a travel policy provides you with compensation for flight delay, cancellation or certain other situations. They generally provide you with accommodation during the waiting period.
- Medical Emergencies- If you meet with an accident while travelling or confront a medical emergency. Your travel policy should bear your expenses, including medical treatment for bodily injuries, ambulance fee or hospitalisation, etc.
- Travel and Lodging- Any travel or accommodation related emergency causing trip termination or delay should be covered under your travel insurance. Frequent flyers must go for annual multi-trip plans, as it will be cost-friendly.
- Legal Liability- In addition, the best travel policy will cover all your legal expenses.
How should I choose the best travel insurance policy?
Searching for the best travel insurance policy, Resolver will help you with it. Make sure you consider the following points.
- Credibility- Make sure you check the review of the company providing travel insurance. Goodwill of the insurance provider plays an important role. Do check the travel insurance providers’ claim settlement percentage. As this what gives it an edge over the others in the travel insurance market.
- Convenience- Buying an insurance policy must be easy and free from hassles.
- Affordability- There are many policies available in the travel insurance market. You should choose the one which provides you with maximum benefits at minimum cost.
- Premium- Your destination is the deciding factor of the premium that you have to pay. In the countries where health care is expensive, the premium for the coverage would be higher. It is also affected by the duration of your travel. Longer the duration higher the premium and vice-versa. The premium may vary with the age of the traveller as well. It is good to have add-ons as it widens the coverage of your insurance.
- Purpose of the Travel- In case your trip include adventure activities, then it is recommended to opt for an insurance that covers almost all emergencies. However, if your trip is relaxing one then even a basic travel plan will serve your purpose.
Are my medical emergencies covered under travel insurance?
It is pertinent to know that travel insurance includes coverage for medical emergencies too, it is thus recommended for you:
- Collect your E-Card from your insurer before travelling abroad. Insurance companies have their agencies in different countries to settle all such claims.
- Register yourself with the number specified on the E-Card in order to be eligible for any such treatment abroad if and when necessary.
- You can avail cashless hospitalization at a network hospital that means it should be inpatient hospitalization only.
In case you face trouble, escalate your issue via Resolver.
How can I calculate Premium for a travel insurance plan?
To know what is the premium for a travel policy for your specific trip. It is recommended to use travel Insurance premium calculator, Internet-based online tools which provides you with a tentative idea of the cost of the travel policy. It gives you an approximate figure. You are required to fill the trip related details like:
- Requirement (for a single trip/multiple trips)
- Number of travellers
- Personal details of the traveller
- Tentative dates of travel
Finally, after you fill all these details, the travel insurance premium calculator calculates the approximate premium amount that you will have to pay for travel insurance.
How can I claim travel Insurance?
To claim your travel insurance it is important to:
- Carry the original policy document when travelling. It is recommended to have photocopies of the document, which will help you if you lose the original. It is also advisable to store it online as a soft copy.
- In case of an emergency during travel, you should call the toll-free customer care number provided by the insurance provider or you can also drop a mail to the provider.
- You will then be required to send supporting documents to the insurer by post, fax or email.
- You must have all the relevant documents like a passport with immigration stamp, copy of the policy, claim form, original bills and receipts, personal identity proof etc.
- Upon submission of the claim including all required documentation and proof, it is duly assessed by a surveyor appointed by the insurance company and processed accordingly.
If you face any issue while claiming your travel Insurance, Resolver will help you!
What is not included in my travel insurance plan?
Although the exclusions may vary from one travel insurance plan to another. Some common exclusions are:
- Pre-existing conditions not known to the provider leading to hospitalization
- Delay n baggage for less than 24 hours
- Flights/trains missed due to local protests or civil unrest
- Or any damage (situation-based)
When does the insurance cover start?
- If you have insurance for a single trip, insurance cover starts the moment you board the flight, bus or train.
- However, if you have had insurance for multi-trip, it is mostly used by frequent travellers. It provides coverage for multiple trips you may take in a period of one year. Coverage per trip may vary from 30 or 60 days.
Is it important to have student travel insurance?
Apart from a few countries like the United States, France, Germany, Italy and Spain, it is not mandatory for students travelling abroad to have insurance plan.
However, even if it is not necessary, one should buy travel insurance to protect the student from medical contingencies, reimbursement, or if he fails to be present during exams, etc
What to do if my travel insurance policy is wrongly named?
You can easily and conveniently modify names on the existing policy. The following steps can be kept in mind for the same:
- Call the customer care number, which may be specified on the policy itself.
- Thereafter, fetch the original copy of the insurance document and visit the branch from where you had purchased the policy
- You will be required to carry a valid identity proof to identify the correct spelling of your name.
- Once you submit the required documents and have raised a request for your name change, the concerned authority will take the action as soon as possible.
Who can buy travel insurance?
If you are above the age of 3 years and below 80 years, kudos! As you are well within the coverage of travel insurance. The condition is you must commence your travel from India.
Will I be covered in case of personal liability?
Usually, you are not covered In case of Personal liabilities like unintentionally injuring an unknown person damaging the third party property. But, there are some insurance companies, which provide personal liability coverage also. You must read the policy wordings to be aware of the extent of your risk coverage.
How can I cancel my existing travel insurance?
Once you are convinced that the policy terms do not match your expectations, you should communicate your intention to cancel the policy in writing. Some insurance companies have a specific form for cancellation policy. It is advisable to mention the details of the policy, date of receipt of the policy document, the reason for cancellation and details of the concerned agent before raising a complaint with the insurance provider.
Do travel insurance provide emergency financial assistance?
Yes, insurance company through its service provider offers emergency financial assistance in case you being the policyholder lose cash due to robbery, theft, or mugging. You will be entitled to emergency cash up to the limit specified in the insurance policy.
You should know the Indian Railways Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC) provides free of cost travel Insurance up to Rs 50 Lakh if you book your ticket through them. This insurance covers financial as well as medical emergencies. For both National and International flights.
- Carry your original travel insurance policy documents while travelling.
- You may also have the documents saved as soft copy in your mobile phone or laptops.
- In case you face issue contact the customer care number of the policy provider.
- Lastly, approach IRDAI for grievance redressal.
You can raise issues with 99 companies in Travel Insurance services
Key companies include: