If you have an issue with the train service, you could be entitled to a refund. Use our free tool to raise an issue with the service provider.
Who is your issue with?
When people think of comfortable long journeys at economical prices, the train is the first thing that pops up in the mind of most Indians. The history of train travels in India is century old. However, even today, it proves to be one of the most efficient modes of transport. This guide will brief you on your rights and provide solutions for the issue you might face while travelling.
How to file a complaint with the train operator?
If you are travelling via train and face an issue, you must:
- Register your complaint by filling the complaint and suggestions form, available on the official website of the Indian Railways.
- You can also contact or SMS via the toll-free helpline numbers available on the Indian Railways website. Resolver can also help you register the complaint.
- Alternatively, you can also lodge a complaint via mobile apps such as:
- Erail- Android mobile users can log there complain through this app. This user-friendly app is connected to the Complaint Management Portal of the Indian Railways. Upon registering a grievance you will be provided with a unique complaint ID number. This number can be used to track the progress of your complaint.
- Madad: This application helps you lodge a hassle-free complaint with guaranteed immediate redressal. It issues a unique identity to track the status of the complaint. This app also displays various helpline numbers and offers direct calling facility for immediate assistance.
How will Resolver help you?
If you face any issue with regard to your train travel. Resolver will help you to submit your issue for free. Any complaint from Resolver is an official complaint, and thus the concerned train authority is obliged to act upon it. Resolver acts as a link between you and the train authority you’re complaining to, making it easier for you to get your complaint to the right place at the right time. Resolver is free. No adverts, no hidden costs. Start by telling us the name of the authority/operator you have an issue with, raise a case and leave feedback afterwards.
What to do if there is a delay in the Arrival/Departure of my train?
You must file Ticket Deposit Receipt (TDR) in case your train is delayed for more than 3 hours. Remember to file it prior to the actual departure of the train in order to avail a complete refund. You can also surrender your ticket and get a refund. For an e-ticket, once you file the TDR, the refund will be processed in at least 90 days or more.
Rajdhani, Duronto and Shatabdi Express have come up with a ‘train late’ situation where you are entitled to a meal if your train is running 2 hours late than its arrival time. You may use Resolver to raise a complaint with the train services.
I made the payment for my train ticket, but I did not receive it?
In case while you were booking your ticket your account was debited but the ticket did not get booked then:
- You must first check the "Booked Tickets" list, wherein the details of all the successful transactions of booked tickets would be available.
- If you can’t find your ticket then the amount debited from your account would be credited back full without subtracting any charges. Provided you have a relevant proof (receipt, etc) of such a transaction.
You may also use Resolver to solve your issues for free.
My personal details are incorrect on my train ticket, what should I do?
In case you face such an issue contact the AskDisha portal provided on the official website of the Indian Railways immediately, to check what exactly you paid for and whether this is simply an administrative error. Resolver can help you solve this issue for free.
I have issues with the food ordered to me, what to do?
The Indian railway is obliged to provide you with safe and hygienic food/drinks. Trains with pantries such as Rajdhani Express and Duronto Express have an IRCTC manager to address food-related issues who would escalate the matter to 'Train Captain' at the railway station from where the train originates.
You may use “Menu on Rail” launched by IRCTC to check the maximum retail price (MRP) of food items sold to you. If you have been overcharged by vendors while ordering food on the train, you can contact the supervisors to monitor the catering service. If you face an issue escalate your complaint via Resolver.
Can I cancel my train ticket?
Yes, you can cancel a booked train ticket. Login to the IRCTC page and cancel your ticket from the cancellation section therein. You can claim a refund on reserved, unreserved, waitlisted and RAC tickets. It is important to cancel your ticket within a prescribed time. A percentage of the fare will be deducted as a cancellation charge depending on the scheduled/actual departure time of the train. The applicable cancellation time charges are as follows:
- 24 hrs before departure of the train-
- Rs. 120 for Executive Class,
- Rs.100/- for First Class,
- Rs. 90 for AC 3 Tier/AC Chair car/ AC 3 Economy,
- Rs.60/- for Sleeper Class and
- Rs.30/- for Second Class.
- Within 24 hrs and up to 4 hours before the scheduled departure of the train- 25% of the fare
- Less than 4 hrs before scheduled departure till the charting of the train- 50% of the fare
If you cancelled a ticket but did not receive any refund, wait for about 3-7 working days for the refund to be processed. If you don’t receive a refund even after 7 working days, Resolver will help you contact IRCTC 24×7 Helpline desk draft an email with the ticketing details.
- Make sure to cross-check the personal details on your train ticket.
- In case you face an issue with train-related services. Raise a complaint via the official website of the Indian Railways by contacting their helpdesk or filling the complaint form.
- You may also use mobile apps viz Erail and Madad to log your complaint and have a satisfactory redressal.
- You may also use Resolver to escalate your issue with the concerned Indian Railways.
You can raise issues with 90 companies in Train Services services
Key companies include: