Home Insurance

If you have an issue with your home insurance provider, you could be entitled to a refund. Use our free tool to raise an issue with the insurer.

Home insurance provides comprehensive coverage to both structure and contents of your home. It protects your home assets from any loss or damage arising out of natural calamities or other mis-happening. This guide will brief you with your rights regarding home insurance related issues and subsequently provide you with the solutions.

How to complain to a home insurance provider?

If you face any issue with your home insurance provider, You may :

  • Contact the toll-free customer care number provided to you by the home insurance company, you can also drop a mail on their e-mail id specified therein.
  • Submit your complaint in writing, along with the necessary documents to support the complaint.
  • Remember to take the written acknowledgement of your complaint duly signed with the date specified.
  • You may also approach the Grievance Redressal Officer, of the travel insurance Company.
  • They usually resolve the issue within a reasonable time. However, if they don't solve within 15 days or if the result is unsatisfactory, you may approach the Grievance Redressal Cell of the Consumer Affairs Department of  Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI).
  • When you purchase an insurance policy/product from a Bank, it is regulated by RBI, through its appointed external Banking Ombudsman.
  • Lastly, file a civil complaint with the insurer before a civil court.

How will RBI help me with my issue?

The External Ombudsman appointed by the RBI will make a decision on your case either through conciliation or mediation between the complainant and the bank complained off. If the terms of the settlement, offered by the bank are fully accepted by you, the Banking Ombudsman will pass an order as per the terms of the settlement. Further, the outcome will be binding on you and the financial organisation. Compensation offered by RBI:

    • For Loss suffered: The Ombudsman has the power to direct the Bank to pay as compensation, equal to the amount of loss suffered because of the act or omission by the Bank or amount up to Rs 20 lakh, whichever is lower. 


  • For Mental Agony and Harassment: You will be awarded compensation not exceeding Rs.1 lakh.


If the issue is still not settled by way of an agreement within a period of one month, the Banking Ombudsman will proceed further to pass an Award. However, a reasonable opportunity is provided to both the bank and the complainant to present their case. But, this award is not binding it is upon the complainant to either accept or reject it. Upon rejecting the award, you may approach the Appellate Authority which is vested with a Deputy Governor of the RBI. It will pass the order as it may deem fit in the best of your interest.

How will Resolver help you?

Resolver ensures free service without any adverts or hidden costs. Start by telling us the name of the company or organisation you have an issue with, raise a case and leave feedback afterwards. If you have a genuine complaint with your home insurance provider, Resolver will help you to submit your issue for free. Any complaint from Resolver is an official complaint, and thus the concerned travel insurance providers are obliged to act upon it. Resolver acts as a link between you and the company you’re complaining to, making it easier for you to get your complaint to the right place at the right time. 

What is included in my Home Insurance?

Home insurance protects your home from injury due to natural and man-made calamities. It includes cover against the following-

  • Imminent danger and fire, Riot, strike, 
  • Natural disasters (Storm, cyclone, flood, etc). However, many policies do not offer coverage of flood in sea, rivers and lakes due to an earthquake
  • Burglary or theft

In case you face any issue, Resolver will help you!

What factors are not included in my home insurance policy?

This may vary with different insurance providers, offering different coverage. However, loss or damage caused by the following factors are generally not included:

  • Wear & tear and depreciation 
  • Loss of cash
  • War, foreign invasion, civil unrest
  • Nuclear war
  •  Electronic equipment due to excessive pressure or over-running 

How can I cancel my existing home insurance?

Once you are satisfied that the policy terms do not match your expectations, you should communicate your intention to cancel the policy in writing. Some insurance companies have a standard form for cancellation policy. It is advisable to mention the details of the policy, date of receipt of the policy document, the reason for cancellation and details of the concerned agent before raising a complaint with the insurance provider.

What to do if my home insurance policy is wrongly named?

It is easy to modify or edit the existing policy. The following steps can be kept in mind for the same:

  • Call the customer care number, which may be specified on the policy itself.
  • Thereafter, fetch the original copy of the home insurance document and visit the branch from where you had purchased the policy 
  • You will be required to carry a valid identity proof to identify the correct spelling of your name.
  • Once you submit the required documents and have raised a request for your name change, the concerned authority will take the action as soon as possible.

How can I file my home insurance claim? 

You should start with informing your home insurance provider about your loss as soon as possible. You can even drop an email or SMS. Usually, they require you to lodge an FIR and then submit a  copy to your insurance company., Other documents that may be are required are-

Fire brigade report, Medical Officer’s Certificate for death or disability, Investigation report by police,  Invoice of owned articles, if any, Repair estimates, Court summons.

In case you find an issue, escalate your complaint via Resolver.

Can I make a claim on my partially damaged house?

Yes, you can make a claim. Ensure that you follow the steps to make a claim on your partially damaged house-

  • Inform your home insurance provider as soon as possible and send the required form duly filled with a rough estimate of the repairing work. At this stage, do not undertake any repairing work, otherwise, the insurer may reject your claim.
  • After receiving your claim form and required documents, a surveyor, appointed by your insurance provider, will pay a visit to your house to assess the quantum of damages.
  • He will then file a report on the basis of his findings. Upon which the insurer will either accept or reject your claim application.
  • Now you can undertake repair work., the surveyor will re-visit your house and submit a comprehensive report about repair and cost to the insurance provider.
  • Net liability will be computed on the basis of surveyor’s recommendation After receiving bills and receipts.
  • If your claim is accepted, the insurer will send you a cheque at your postal address. However, if your claim is rejected, due to any reason, the insurer will send you a repudiation letter.

Still facing an issue, let Resolver help you with it.

What is the tenure of my home insurance?

Generally,  home insurance is for a minimum of 1 year. However, some insurance providers may offer it for a maximum of 30 years as well.

How can I reduce my home insurance premium?

The following methods will help you reduce your premium conveniently:

  • If you agree to bear a portion of repair at the time of claim, it will lower the liability of the insurer. And thus it will help in lowering the premium.
  • Choose the items you want to cover wisely. Avoid covering each and everything. 
  • Make sure you Install safety equipment, like a fire alarm and fire fighting equipment.
  • Opt for Group policies, Insurers tend to offer discounts to group customers. The quantum of discount would depend on certain conditions.
  • Add-ons such as terrorism cover etc make the policy expensive. Thus avoid having unnecessary covers.

Can I increase the sum insured in my home insurance policy?

Yes! You can increase the sum, however, you will have to pay a premium for the increased assured for the remaining tenure.

Can I buy home insurance from more than one company?

The answer is Yes! you can buy home insurance from two companies. At the time you make a  claim both companies will have to pay you their proportionate share respectively. 

In Summary

  • Keep the original papers of the home insurance policy safely.
  • You can also claim on your partially damaged home.
  • In case you face issue contact the customer care number of the policy provider.
  • For any insurance-related issue approach IRDA for grievance redressal.
  • lastly, you can also the concerned Court for resolving the issue.

Helping you with Home Insurance services

Resolver promises

We will never share your personal data with anyone without your permission - your case will go to the firm you’re complaining about and, if appropriate, to an ombudsman.

If you find something wrong with a company or our processes, tell us and we will put it right.

You can raise a complaint against Resolver via Resolver itself.

We do use cookies, but only to provide you with a better experience.