If you have an issue with an online seller, you could be entitled to a refund. Use our free tool to raise an issue with an online food & groceries website.

Doorstep food delivery is the hottest thing in India! Huge discounts, cashback options, free and instant delivery of a wide range of food items including all types of cuisine are some of the tactics used by food and grocery delivery apps & websites. To ensure food safety in such a bustling market, the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) has taken several steps in favour of the consumers.

Before ordering food online, you must ensure that the delivery restaurant holds a valid FSSAI license. The license number is usually given on the restaurant’s page on the food delivery app. In case there is no license number, inform the food delivery app of the same and do not order from such a restaurant. A license guarantees that the restaurant from which you are ordering food has adhered to FSSAI’s safety and cleanliness standards.

Your Rights

Initially, if you have a complaint against an online food seller, you should follow the given steps:

  1. Raise a complaint on their online platform - website or mobile application. Almost every food and groceries delivery company has a proper customer service mechanism in place to provide for quick redressal.
  2. Through an online chat or a quick call, your complaint will be transferred to the food vendor. After receiving your complaint, the vendor would scrutinize the issue and might about the problem in detail.
  3. Upon satisfaction, a refund or replacement of the food item will be offered to you. In some cases, the online food delivery app might also offer discount coupons or other rebates as a gesture of goodwill.
  4. However, if the business is unable to provide a satisfactory solution or if you feel that your claim has been ignored by the business, then you make escalate your matter to the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI).

What kind of complaints can be made to FSSAI?

  • If the packaged food items are sold to you beyond their expiry/best before date
  • Presence of dust particles, insects or fungus
  • Issues related to adulteration
  • Improper packing
  • Incomplete information about a food item or insufficient information on the label
  • Misleading advertisement
  • Absence of detailed address of manufacturer/ marketer
  • Absence of declaration of ingredients such as MSG (monosodium glutamate) if it is present in the food item
  • Warnings – such as ‘Not for phenylketonuria patients’ that has artificial sweetener, not written on the label of food 

You can submit a complaint concerned with food safety issues like adulterated food, substandard food, unsafe food, labeling defects in food and misleading advertisements related to various food products with FSSAI. The three-tier process recommended by FSSAI is as follows:

Step I: Raise the complaint with the nodal officers appointed by FSSAI Food and Beverage Officers.

Step II: If the grievance is not redressed to satisfaction by the nodal officer, contact the State Food Safety Authorities.

Step III: If the resolution is not satisfactory in step II, directly contact FSSAI

Remember: You must know that any compensation from FSSAI is only available when the food items have caused injury, grievous injury or death of the consumer.

What to do if my issue is not addressed?

On the off chance that the eatery(restaurant) does not react to your issue, at that point you should raise your case to a superior level. The resolver framework knows the subsequent stages to take to heighten your issue and will remind you what to do so that your voice is heard and ideally your issue is resolved. Resolver makes it simpler for you to contact the organization's consumer administration. Resolver is free. No adverts, no shrouded expenses.

Do I have to pay delivery & packing charges?

Some restaurants might be located far off from your delivery location. In such cases, you’ll be charged a small delivery fee. Food delivery apps also run promotions offering free delivery and packaging of your order. You could try filtering your restaurant search by the ‘free delivery’ option.

I think I was overcharged for my order, what to do?

Getting the best price is a constant challenge, it’s not unusual for the price at checkout to be different from that on the shelf tag. Shoppers’ best solution is to point out the difference amount at the register before paying, but even after the fact, there’s usually plenty that can be done about an overcharge.

If you believe that the seller has misled you in their pricing practice, you should ask to speak and express your concerns. These issues are covered by the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations. If you are unhappy with the manager’s response, Resolver recommends that you submit your concern in writing to the owner of the store from where you purchased your product.

Package not delivered

Unless otherwise provided, you are expected to wait for your delivery for a reasonable time period. In the case of no delivery of goods due to some reason, you are entitled to a full refund of the amount paid by you.

My food is delivered but I haven’t received it, what to do?

It may sometime happen that the order shows to be delivered but it is not delivered to you actually. You must:

  • Verify the shipping address.
  • Look for a notice of attempted delivery.
  • Look around the delivery location for your package.
  • See if someone else accepted the delivery.
  • Check your mailbox 

Unless, you have made arrangement for the order to get delivered somewhere else and by your own choice of service, the seller is responsible for the product until it reaches you. You may claim for late delivery or no delivery at all. Resolver can help you guide through the process.

I am hungry and haven’t received my order yet! What to do?

By the law, delivery of the product must be within a reasonable time. There are chances that your product is delivered late which may frustrate the very reason for your purchase. Few steps which are to be taken by you involve

  • check the delivery address, track your package
  • check if there is any holiday between your delivery period
  • contact the seller

If after all these steps your package is still not received or received at a later date then you may claim a refund or can return it. 

I had to wait for hours to get my food order, is there anything I can do?

Waiting for your product for a longer period than expected may become frustrating. It depends on what was agreed with the seller with regard to delivery date and nature of the product ordered.  If you have already been provided with delivery date and the product does not arrive by that, you are entitled to an apology, a refund or compensation based on the severity of the damage and situation. If you had to take time off work to wait for the delivery, you may also be able to claim for loss of earning as your consequent loss.

My order was damaged

If goods are delivered to you in damaged condition, our Indian law (Consumer Act) makes retailers/seller responsible for the same and you may claim the refund or can return the item. You may contact the retailer along with the evidence of damaged product by clicking a photograph of the item for adjustments. 

  • Return the damaged item promptly.
  • Describe the damage properly.
  • Retain the original packaging if possible along with the invoice.

That is not what I ordered!

If the product which you have received is not what you have ordered, you have the right to have this replaced with the correct product. You have the same rights if your product is delivered at home as if you had taken them away with you in a shop. You must inspect your product and if there is any problem like it is not what you have ordered then you should contact the seller immediately and ask for refund or replacement.

I am not satisfied with my food, what can I do?

Customer satisfaction involves both their expectations and experiences. But expectations which are based on vague images thus creating a wide range of acceptable performance. Such expectations related to image, taste or nature would be difficult to be fulfilled. In case of realistic and genuine expectations from the product like your food or groceries are not up to the mark to what you expected, for example, they are not fresh or as per food standards, you may claim for refund as the return policy is generally not there for this section of food and groceries. The Resolver can help you with the process of refund.

What to do if I have found foreign objects in my food?

When you order food or any drink, you have the right to safe items, matching it’s description and quality standards. There are certain objects in food that can cause injury whereas there are some objects which you cannot a complaint about, in court. Unfortunately, the preparation of food is not always perfect, it is possible that foreign object may find a way in your food or drink. If there is any injury caused then you may sue for damages.

Food and beverage industry have to follow all state, country, and municipal health regulations. When they violate safety regulations such as having a foreign object in food, the authorities can find the seller or shut them down temporarily or permanently.

The food wasn’t up to the mark

When you bring food or groceries you have a right that your product is safe, matches its description and is of satisfactory quality standards. If you are not given what you ordered, you should complain to the seller. They should offer you a replacement item, or you could ask to have the rejected items to be deducted from your bill. If you are not satisfied with the seller’s response, or they ask you to pay for the rejected item, you are entitled to deduct the price of the rejected items from the bill. Alternatively, you can pay the bill and tell them you are paying under protest. You could then ask for a reimbursement by writing a formal letter of complaint.

Refund request refused 

Most major retailers operate a fairly customer-friendly returns policy and will accept returned items, including sale items unless otherwise stated, within a certain time period. However, you should be aware that you are not legally entitled to a refund or exchange if you have simply changed your mind about the purchased goods only in genuine cases, the time period is generally provided for 30 days.

  • Most retailers will ask for proof of purchase (your receipt, or in some cases your debit/credit card statement, will suffice). 
  • You should be able to find details of the shop’s policy either in-store, on the back of your receipt or on their website.
  • You should return the unwanted goods in as perfect a condition as possible, including all packaging. If you cannot do this, it is likely that your request for a refund will be refused, alternatively, you may be offered a credit note.

How can Resolver help you?

In the event that you have a bonafide grievance, Resolver will assist you with submitting your issue for free. Resolver goes about as a connection among you and the organization you're grumbling to, making it simpler for you to get your objection to the perfect spot at the correct time. Resolver is free. No adverts, no shrouded expenses. Begin by revealing to us the name of the organization or association you have an issue with, raise a case and leave input a short time later.

Resolver promises

We will never share your personal data with anyone without your permission - your case will go to the firm you’re complaining about and, if appropriate, to an ombudsman.

If you find something wrong with a company or our processes, tell us and we will put it right.

You can raise a complaint against Resolver via Resolver itself.

We do use cookies, but only to provide you with a better experience.