Computers & Consumer Electronics
If you have an issue with online shopping, you could be entitled to a refund. Use our free tool to raise an issue with the seller.
Who is your issue with?
With the advancement in technology, the demand for consumer electronics has increased manifolds. This guide will brief you on your rights as users and provide solutions for the problems you might face.
How to file a complaint with an online seller?
In case you face any issue, you may:
- Gather your paperwork related to the purchase of the product or service and contact the seller from whom you made the purchase. Most sellers have a complaint resolution mechanism either online or offline in place.
- If the seller refuses to help you or does not provide a satisfactory resolution, approach the customer care cell of the seller and register an official complaint. You can also escalate the matter by approaching the office of the goods and service provider. Normally, the company will assist and solve your issue within a reasonable time frame. If they fail to do so, or if you're not happy with the result, you may escalate the matter.
- You may log a complaint under the Centralized Public Grievance Redress And Monitoring System (CPGRAMS) of the Ministry of Electronics and Information (MEITY), a unique registration number will be provided to you for checking the status of your complaint.
- If still not satisfied you may do so by filing a consumer case at an appropriate consumer forum and follow the procedure as prescribed under the law. Generally, it takes a long time to resolve a consumer case.
- If you find any difficulty with the process, Resolver can help you through conveniently.
How will Resolver help you?
If you have a bonafide complaint, Resolver will help you to submit your issue for free, with no adverts or hidden costs. Any complaint from Resolver is an official complaint, and thus the concerned manufacturers and sellers are obliged to act upon it. Resolver acts as a link between you and the company you’re complaining to, making it easier for you to get your complaint to the right place at the right time. Start by telling us the name of the company or organisation you have an issue with, raise a case and leave feedback afterwards.
The item I purchased was damaged, what to do?
As a precautionary measure, you should always check the quality of the product thoroughly before making the purchase. It is also recommended to read the product service reviews on credible websites to avoid any trouble. Also, check the return, refund and exchange policy of a seller before making the purchase. Even after taking all these measures the product is found to be damaged. Then you may contact the seller’s customer care department. You may take help of Resolver to help you resolve the issue.
The purchased item did not meet my expectation, what to do?
If the item you have received is not what you have ordered or it does not match your expectations, you have the right to have this replaced with the correct product. Remember that you have similar rights if your goods are delivered to your home as if you had taken them away with you in a shop. You should carefully examine the purchases and, if you find an issue with anything – whether it's a faulty product or if it was not the item you ordered – you should immediately contact the seller and ask for a refund or replacement. Resolver can also help you solve your troubles!
What can I do if I am overcharged for the product?
An issue with price generally involves:
- Price higher than the MRP
- Price lower than the MRP
- Fake discount offered
- Extremely high shipping or delivery charges
Such practices are termed as an unfair trade practice and a consumer can seek redressal against them. In case of purchase from online retailers, take a screenshot of the product/service you purchased, in case the company changes the price or product description later. You can also use Resolver to escalate your claim with the seller.
What to do in case my payment for the product was not accepted?
If you face problems during the payment process and they cannot be resolved at the time the issue arises, it is ideal to contact your bank or card provider and ask them to investigate on your behalf. This includes your debit/credit card being declined or overcharged. Resolver can do it for you for free.
If your credit card statement contains incorrect charges or charges for products and services you did not receive, then you should dispute these charges. Both Visa and MasterCard offer a zero-liability policy: you will not be liable if your card or card number is used without your authorisation, as long as you have complied with the Cardholder Agreement. In case you face an issue, Resolver is there to help you resolve the issue.
Is it important to have a receipt of payment if I want to raise a complaint?
The production of a receipt is a necessity for every claim of refund, replacement or repair. By not issuing the receipt, the businesses:
- manage to evade taxes, and
- prevent consumers from raising an issue due to lack of evidence
You can complain against those who do not issue the bill. Even a handwritten bill or a kachcha bill is a credible source when filing a complaint. As a general rule, you should always make sure that the shopkeeper provides you with a proper cash memo of your purchase. It is your right to demand a receipt. If a receipt is not provided to you even after repeated requests, you may escalate your matter before the concerned authorities. A payment confirmation email or an SMS received from an online retailer also qualifies as a legitimate receipt. You may take help of Resolver to fix an issue that may arise.
Can I raise a complaint if my personal data is leaked or share inappropriately?
Your Information including any sensitive financial information collected on computers that are protected by physical and reasonable technological security measures and procedures in accordance with Information Technology Act 2000 and Rules thereunder.
Don’t subject yourself to being patient zero on a new retail app that just landed in the app store. Wait and see how much transaction it gets. See how many other people download it. There are other easy steps you can take to enhance the security of online accounts:
- Change your password
- Before making the payment, check for encryption key – a small key symbol – in the payment portal to ensure that the transaction is secure.
Every e-commerce company have a grievance officer. Escalate your complaint to the appropriate authority via Resolver.
The service provided to me was not satisfactory
Complain in person: The first easy step is to go back to the shop or phone the call centre and explain the problem and your suggested resolution.
Complain in writing: If the company won't help over the phone, the easiest way to take your complaint further is using this free online tool which helps draft your complaint and manage it too.
Court action: If all else fails and the shop hasn't given you a satisfactory response, you have a legal right to fair service. Ideally, send a ‘letter before action’ (legal notice) to say you are going to take them to court.
You may also escalate your complaint via Resolver.
What to do if my refund requests get refused?
Most major retailers operate a fairly customer-friendly returns policy and will accept returned items within a certain time period. However, in case the request for refund is refused by the retailer, the following could be the reasons:
- Absence of proof of purchase (your receipt, or in some cases your debit/credit card statement, will suffice).
- Goods are not in proper condition and unpacked.
- You crossed the time limit within which the request had to be made.
If you face any issue, you may raise your complaint via Resolver.
- You should always check the product before buying it.
- In case you purchased the item online make sure to go through the reviews from reliable sources.
- You should have all the papers related to the goods and services purchased.
- You should be able to find details of the shop’s policy either in-store, on the back of your receipt or on their website.
- Initially try to directly contact the toll-free customer care number and raise your concern.
- Then approach the cosmetic products and services seller in order to ask for refund or replacement.
- Resolver will help you facilitate the entire process from start to finish.
You can raise issues with 89 companies in Computers & Consumer Electronics services
Key companies include: