Hotel and Resorts
If you have an issue with the Hotel and Resorts, you could be entitled to a refund. Use our free tool to raise an issue with the service provider.
Who is your issue with?
HOTELS AND RESORTS
There's nothing worse than meticulously planning a holiday, only to arrive and find out that your five-star hotel is still under construction. Things can get especially confusing if you've booked through a third party, making it difficult to figure out who is responsible for fixing the situation. With that in mind, read on for Resolver's guide to figure out your holiday issues.
- Generally, we suggest that you should try and resolve your issues during your stay at the hotel itself. If this proves impossible, then you should try and use Resolver to make a complaint after returning home. This will offer you the most effective chance of success.
- We recommend that you try and gather as much evidence as possible while you’re at the hotel. This should include photos and receipts – anything that might give you an edge.
- Your hotel accommodation should be as shown on the website or any sales material or advertisements.
- If you're unhappy with the quality of your hotel or resort, you should first go to the front desk or the hotel manager. They should be ready to resolve your issue quickly.
- We recommend that you raise the issue immediately whilst at the hotel premises, so you give the hotel or resort a chance to put right any problems.
- Always be fair and reasonable in your expectations and your approach to the hotel business and focus on how to resolve the issue.
- If you're still unhappy, you should raise a case via Resolver.
HOW TO RAISE AN ISSUE AGAINST A HOTEL OR RESORT?
- First of all, you should try and gather as much evidence as possible about your issue, while you are at the hotel or the resort. Your smartphone will come in handy for this- record videos and take pictures of your concern. Keep these records safe.
- Approach the manager or the concerned person immediately at the hotel. Explain your issue in detail and wait for an effective resolution.
- If you’ve booked the hotel through an online website or a third party, approach them and raise your issue with them as well. Online hotel booking websites generally have appropriate customer care centers in place to help with your issue.
- Hotels and Resorts always have complaint resolution mechanisms and policies. The hotel staff should help you find a resolution.
- In Resolver's experience, your issue should be resolved immediately or within 7-10 days at the latest.
- If the hotel authorities fail to do so, or if you aren’t satisfied with the outcome, you’ve got the option to escalate the matter to an appropriate consumer forum.
- Before approaching the consumer forum, you must serve a month's notice to the Hotel or Resort, giving them a chance to find a resolution.
- If you’re still not happy, you should file a formal consumer case for "Deficiency of Services". The legal recourse generally takes a lot of time to reach a conclusion, so choose wisely. However, raising a case can show to the hotel how serious you are about the issues you faced. You can withdraw your case at any time.
IS THERE AN OMBUDSMAN OR REGULATOR?
There is no ombudsman or regulator for the hotel and resort industry in India yet. There are some independent organizations, but they do not cater to consumer complaint redressal.
HOW WILL RESOLVER HELP YOU?
Resolver plays the role of the bridge between you and the Company. It makes it easier for you to contact the Hotel’s customer service directly. You can be certain that you’re talking to the right person at the right time. We automatically connect you to contacts at thousands of household names, ombudsman and regulators to find a resolution. There’s no jargon in our rights guides. Instead, they’re full of the information you need to get things sorted. We’ll continually be on hand with steerage and support to assist you to get the results you’re searching for. Resolver is free. No adverts, no hidden costs. Start by telling us the name of the company or organization you have an issue with, raise a case and leave feedback afterwards.
WHAT SHOULD I DO IF HOTEL COULDN’T RESOLVE MY ISSUE?
If you can’t resolve the issue whilst you are staying at the hotel, then you should submit your complaint after returning home. When you email your hotel through Resolver, try to attach as much supporting information as possible, such as your invoice, photos, etc, to help express your issue clearly to the business.
I BOOKED MY STAY THROUGH A THIRD PARTY.
If you booked your hotel through an agent or an online hotel booking website, you should still raise your issue with the hotel directly. They do need to make sure that the information provided by them is accurate. If you feel the issue was caused by the website or was the agent’s fault, you should raise the issue with them and not the hotel.
I WAS ASKED TO PAY EXTRA WHEN I ARRIVED AT THE HOTEL.
Hotel booking sites ought to make any charges clear to you directly. This includes taxes and booking charges. If you find that charges have not been made clear to you, you should use Resolver’s free Hotel Booking Complaint Tool to raise your issue with the site.
CAN I CANCEL MY HOTEL OR RESORT BOOKING?
Unfortunately, you won't usually have the right to cancel your booking at a hotel. You may be charged a small fee if you do so. This is, however, dependent on the terms and conditions of the hotel. Some online hotel websites also provide free cancellation.
I BOOKED THROUGH A TRAVEL AGENT – CAN I GET A REFUND FROM THEM?
Generally, your travel agent is only responsible if they’ve created an error in your booking or within the info they’ve provided you. You should first approach your hotel operator with any issue.
You can raise issues with 8 companies in Hotels & Resorts services
Key companies include: