Debit Card

If you have an issue with the Debit Card, you could be entitled to a refund. Use our free tool to raise an issue with the service provider.

Over the last 10 years people in India and around the world, have started using Credit and Debit cards to make transactions for their purchases and utilize the benefits of the cash-less economy. However, due to this gradual growth consumers must be aware of their rights and duties when it comes to protecting your credit and debit card details. 


You can submit your issue through Resolver but your credit/debit card company may contact you outside of Resolver to confirm your details. Resolver will remind you within 8 weeks if your issue is not resolved, and you can escalate your case to the Banking Ombudsman Service for a free independent assessment.


Read our guide to find out more about when and how to make use of these rights!


My PIN is not working or maybe I forgot my PIN, what can I do now?

You can get your new PIN through net banking services. You just have to contact the bank, submit your card number and CVV number respectively. A new PIN will be generated by the bank and you will receive it on your registered phone number. Make sure that your current phone number is updated with the bank.


My card got stolen or maybe I lost my card!

In this scenario, immediately report the bank that your card has been stolen/lost. The bank will block your card to prevent any fraudulent activities to happen. Once the card is blocked, you have to visit the bank to issue a new card for you. You cannot re-use your card in case you have found it somewhere. If you have suffered losses, you may file a report to the nearest police station. They will investigate further. 


My card is not working

The common instances to why your card is not working are lack of funds, entering the wrong pin, suspicious transactions or expiration of the card. Other reasons could be that the card’s withdrawal limit has been reached or the information did not match personal details. Use Resolver to raise the issue with the bank for the reasons for declining the card.

My phone number is registered with the bank, but I am not receiving any mobile alerts during any card transactions

If you are an existing user, you should log in into your bank account and ensure SMS alert facility is registered in the account is correct. In case, if the issue is not solved, contact the bank. If you haven't opted for SMS facility, you may visit your bank, obtain a request form and submit it. You can follow the same process online as well.


Unauthorized transactions on my card, what should I do?

Fraudulent transactions take place when following happen:

  • Money is stolen from your account
  • The unauthorized transaction took place from your account
  • Your debit or credit card has been fraudulently used

Moreover, fraudulent transactions are punishable under Indian Criminal Laws as it amounts to cheating and deceiving someone to deliver some property.

  1. If you have received an SMS alert and you know that the fraud happened due to the negligence of the bank, the error should be corrected by the bank.
  2. Contact the bank and inform them about the fraudulent transactions within three days of such alert.
  3. If the fraud happened due to your negligence, report the issue within 7 working days. The bank should resolve the dispute within 90 days. 

Is there any withdrawal limit on using a debit card?

Yes, the withdrawal limit depends on the type of debit card you hold. You can withdraw from Rs 15,000 to Rs 2 lakh or even higher. In the case of premium cards, cash withdrawal and point-of-sale (POS) limits are higher. Also, some banks have transaction limits as well such as 4 transactions a day.


Do I have to pay any kind of charges for using a debit card for cash withdrawal?

Usually, cash withdrawals from the same bank’s ATMs are absolutely free. However, some banks charge a nominal fee in case there are more than five transactions from your bank’s ATM.


Are any charges levied on using a debit card for transaction at another bank’s ATM?

The transaction charges on using another bank’s ATMs depend from card to card. Generally, the first five transactions made per month by using a debit card at another bank’s ATM are free. However, after this limit, a nominal fee is levied on every transaction done on other bank’s ATM.


How to close my debit card?

There are two ways to close your debit card -


  • Go to your bank branch and submit a letter to the branch manager stating that you are not willing to continue your account and along with the letter surrender your passbook (which will be returned to you after updating), unused cheque leaves and debit card. Now the account is closed and balance is refunded to you.
  • Visit your bank and submit a letter to the branch manager informing that you are not in need of the debit card and along with your letter surrender the debit card. Now you are not having the debit card and the branch will remove the link from the server and the debit card is disabled. Now you can use either cheque book or withdrawal slip for withdrawing cash from the account.

How to renew my debit card?

Generally, banks send you a new card automatically one month before the expiry date. The most convenient and comfortable option is through Net banking. In case you don't have one, you can always activate it through your existing card on your bank online portal. 


The next option is to visit your home branch and submit the request form at the counter duly signed by the account holder. You can expect the delivery of the card at your registered postal address within 10 working days.


How to resolve your issue with a bank?

  1. Inform your bank - Before taking any action, you should contact your bank and register your issue with them. Nearly all banks have a grievance redressal cell where customers can file their issues. Raise your issue via Resolver, making sure that you include any relevant details and supporting documents with your complaint.
  2. If you don’t receive a satisfactory reply, or if there's no response from the branch within a reasonable time, you can approach the Regional or Zonal manager of the bank who’ll start an internal enquiry into the matter.
  3. The manager has to address your complaint within 30 days. If the bank fails to provide satisfactory redressal, you can approach the Banking Ombudsman and escalate the matter further. The Banking Ombudsman is the senior official appointed by the Reserve Bank of India to address banking complaints by the consumers. 
  4. If you aren’t satisfied with their response, you can file an appeal with the Appellate Authority against the Banking Ombudsman’s decision within 30 days.

How will the  Reserve Bank of India (RBI) help you?

The Banking Ombudsman appointed by RBI will independently assess your case. There is no charge to the consumer for the assessment. The ombudsman will make a decision on your case and provide an outcome that is binding on the bank. If you aren’t satisfied with the outcome, you could consider switching bank or provider. The final option would be to take the bank to consumer court – you should get expert legal advice before taking this route.


Banking Ombudsman: How does it work?

  • Every Banking Ombudsman has jurisdiction in one or more states/ UTs. You should submit your application to the Banking Ombudsman whose jurisdiction your state or bank falls under. You can submit an application to the Banking Ombudsman via Resolver or in hard copy.
  • Make sure you have the appropriate documents and records to give as proof.
  • After receiving your complaint, a designated officer will be responsible for resolving your complaint to your satisfaction. Every attempt will be made to offer you suitable and appropriate alternative solutions where necessary. 
  • Suitable timelines have been set for every complaint according to the level of investigation involved in resolving the issue. Complaints are suitably acknowledged on receipt and you’ll be informed of delays if they occur. The designated officer will contact you if anything needs clarification. 

How will Resolver help you?

On the off chance that you have an objection, first ensure that is sensible. In the event that you accept that it is, you can utilize Resolver to present your issue. Any grievance from Resolver is an official issue, and the bank is along these lines obliged to follow up on it. On the off chance that it's not settled, you can take your case to the Banking Ombudsman. Resolver assumes the job of the scaffold among you and the organization you're complaining to,  making it simpler for you to get your issue to the opportune spot at the correct time. Resolver is free. No adverts, no concealed expenses. Begin by disclosing to us the name of the organization or association you have an issue with, raise a case and leave input subsequently.

Resolver promises

We will never share your personal data with anyone without your permission - your case will go to the firm you’re complaining about and, if appropriate, to an ombudsman.

If you find something wrong with a company or our processes, tell us and we will put it right.

You can raise a complaint against Resolver via Resolver itself.

We do use cookies, but only to provide you with a better experience.