Vacation Rental Homes - Service delayed

How does Resolver work?

Free forever

Resolver is free. No adverts, no hidden costs. Just raise a case and leave feedback after. Simple! We’ve helped millions of people find a resolution. Get started now and let’s get this sorted.

Know your rights

There’s no jargon in our rights guides. Instead, they’re full of the info you need to get things sorted. We’ll always be on hand with guidance and support to help you get the results you’re looking for.

Get your voice heard

You can be certain that you’re talking to the right person at the right time. We automatically connect you to contacts at thousands of household names, ombudsmen and regulators to find a resolution.

You should know
  • Your vacation rental should be as shown on the website or any sales material or advertisements.
  • If you're unhappy with the quality of your accommodation, you should first go to the front desk or contact the immediate caretaker of the rental property. They should be able to resolve your issue quickly.
  • We recommend that you raise the issue immediately whilst at the rental property, so you give the rental firm a chance to put right any problems.
  • Always be fair and reasonable in your expectations and your approach to the rental business and focus on how to resolve the issue.
  • If you're still unhappy, you should raise a case via Resolver.

How to raise an issue against a vacation rental property?

There's nothing worse than meticulously planning a holiday, only to arrive and find out that your vacation rental property is under construction! Things can get especially confusing if you've booked through a third party, making it difficult to figure out who is responsible for fixing the situation.

  1. First of all, you should try and gather as much evidence as possible about your issue, while you are at the vacation rental property. Your smartphone will come in handy for this- record videos and take pictures of your issue. Keep the receipts safe.
  2. Approach the caretaker or the concerned person immediately available at the property. Explain your issue in detail and wait for an effective resolution. If you’ve booked the accommodation through an online website or a third party, approach them and raise your issue with them as well. Online vacation rental websites generally have appropriate consumer care cells in place.
  3. As per Resolver's experience, your complaint should be resolved immediately or within 7-10 days. If the rental providers fail to do so, or if you are not satisfied with the outcome, then you have the option to escalate the matter to an appropriate consumer forum.
  4. Before approaching the consumer court, you must serve a month's notice to the vacation rental homeowner or the rental home service provider to allow them a chance of rectification. If they still fail, then you should file a formal consumer case for "deficiency of services". The legal recourse generally takes a lot of time to reach a conclusion, so choose wisely. However, raising a case can show to the rental firm you are serious and you can withdraw your case at any time.


Is there an ombudsman or a regulator?

For rental homes and the hotel industry in India, there is no ombudsman or regulator yet. There are some independent organisations but they do not cater to consumer complaint redressal.

The rental property business could not resolve my issue, what to do?

If you cannot resolve the issue whilst you are staying at the rental property then you should raise the issue as soon as possible of returning home. When you email the rental business through resolver, try to attach as much supporting information as possible such as your invoice, photos, etc, to help express your issue clearly to the business.

I booked through a third party website

If you booked through an agent or website, you should still raise your issue with the rental firm directly. They do need to ensure the information provided is accurate. If you feel the issue was caused by the website or the agent mis-booking then you should raise the issue with them and not the rental company.

I was asked to pay more when I arrived at the property!

Hotel booking sites should make any charges clear to you upfront. This includes taxes and booking charges. If you find that charges have not been made clear to you, you should use Resolver’s free Hotel Booking Complaint Tool to raise your issue with the site.

Can I cancel my rental home booking?

Unfortunately, you won't normally have the right to cancel your vacation rental home booking. You may be charged a small fee if you do so. This is, however, dependent on your accommodation’s terms and conditions.

I booked through a travel agent – can I get a refund from them?

Generally, your travel agent is only liable if they’ve made a mistake in your booking or in the information they’ve provided you. You should approach your accommodation operator first with any problems.

We have 1,315 pages of rights advice for you covering 1,922 companies and organisations across 4 public & private sectors. Feel free to browse companies for this specific issue - they're all listed below - but the quickest way to find the best rights for you is by using our unique Rights Finder to access our extensive database of advice.

Start by telling us the name of the company or organisation you have an issue with.

Who do you have an issue with?

Raise it for free via Resolver

Helping you with Service delayed

Resolver covers the issue Service Delayed for 0 companies and organisations:

a   b   c   d   e   f   g   h   i   j   k   l   m   n   o   p   q   r   s   t   u   v   w   x   y   z